Saturday, February 23, 2013

Drawing Time....

This past week I've been thinking about what I should make and also how my inspiration board has affected my view point. The main design in this rough sketch is the jacket, which was inspired by the shape of a leotard. 
 When I was at SewGreen this Thursday my advisor for my internship there gave me the idea of not just making one couture garment, but making a set, one using couture techniques and the other would be ready-to-wear. In this process I would map out what the differences are between the two outfits and the cost it would take to produce it. The jacket above is a possibility of what I could make for my ready-to-wear "look".
Sew Green is a not for profit organization that is both a store that sells re-used fabric and vintage Singer sewing machines but also a classroom that teaches sewing. I have been attending SewGreen regularly since the summer before 8th grade. Since then I have been in their internship program multiple times, have helped out in the store and also volunteered as an assistant teacher in the classroom. SewGreen has not only taught me about sewing but also how to be conscious about the environment and the waste we create while sewing garments. Sew Green will be a essential resource for me while I'm working on my project.
If you live in Ithaca or are ever visiting you should check out the SewGreen store on the Commons; you can find amazing vintage fabric there that you would never see anywhere else!

A link to the SewGreen website: http://www.sewgreen.org/

This is another one of my sketches but in a more final form. The pants are inspired by boy friend jeans that ballerinas would often wear on the street to and from classes, the twist is that they would be made out of a elegant brocade material with beading to emphasize the swirls. The jacket is inspired by tu tu's. I've been drawing a lot of jackets, so I'm pretty sure that what ever I make there will be a jacket involved but I'm not setting anything in stone yet...
My next step is to keep sketching and coming up with more ideas and this week I'm also going to begin draping.

-Emma Clementina

1 comment: